Thursday, June 18, 2009

PETA,, You Publicity Hounds

I've seen so many stupid things in my life I've grown immune to outrageous, gratuitous comments but this one by PETA pushed my alarm button where I refuse to take it in silence.

The People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals is a buzz because President Obama during another one of his endless television interviews swatted and killed a pesky fly. If it was a gymnastic event, as judge I would have awarded Barack a 10.

Obama stopped the interview with CNBC's John Harwood when the fly broke every FAA regulation imaginable. He waited until the critter landed again. And, smacked it dead. "Now, where were we?" Obama asked Harwood. Then he added: "That was pretty impressive, wasn't it? I got the sucker."

PETA spokesman Bruce Friedrich said: "We support compassion even for the most curious, smallest and least sympathetic animals. We believe that people, where they can be compassionate, should be, for all animals."

Friedrich let a good story get in the way of a basic fact. Flies aren't animals. They're insects.

I was willing to give the animal rights mouthpiece the benefit of the doubt that he was, for sure, kidding. But, noooo. PETA is sending Obama a Katcha Bug Humane Bug Catcher, a device that allows users to trap a house fly and then release it outside. My God, he was serious.

Friedrich said PETA is a strong supporter of Obama because of his voting record as a U.S. senator on behalf of animal rights and outspoken against animal abuses. Still, "swatting a fly on TV indicates he's not perfect," Friedrich said, "and we're happy to say that we wish he hadn't." I could be wrong, but memory serves that house flies lives are numbered in days, even without a quick human hand, fly swatters and chemical bug killers.

After the interview, Obama took a tissue and picked up the fallen soldier off the White House floor. As far as the interview went, one must feel sorry for Harwood. No one remembers what was said, including the fly.

I give credit grudgingly to Friedrich for doing his job, thrusting PETA's purpose onto the national stage and not accusing the president of being a Michael Vick copycat.

Deputy press secretary Josh Earnest said the White House has no comment on the matter. Now there's a no comment I can live with. And to think what they used to say about the president.

No Drama Obama.


No comments: